Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Historic Murphy’s Landing

Despite my incident on Saturday, the weekend was wonderful. Unfortunately, I did not get as many pictures taken as I had hoped. However, I got quite a few on Saturday morning.

First of all, here is the house – we lived there for five years – it was built as a one story cabin in 1860, then slowly added on, in the 1880s and then in the 1920s. It is now being used as the Interpreter’s meeting / storage place, now.



Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


Then here is the view I saw every morning as I went to work (or even just went out the door). This is the road that leads to the village. It is half a mile west to the outer gate, and half a mile east to the main Interpretive Center and Main Gate. It is a quarter of a mile to “my” house where I worked most of the time.



Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


Saturday morning I walked down (as I had left my spinning wool in the car, parked in the west parking lot) and visited with friends before heading back to the tent and the spinning wheel.

This stove has been painted and re-chromed; it is identical to the one we had in my parents’ cabin in the Black Hills. I learned to cook on that one, so I was one of the very few who could understand and actually cook well on it.



Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


Deanna, friend and former boss, is “housekeeper” at the Atwater, the richest house in town. Rumor had it that Queen Victoria was coming to “Eagle Creek” (our name for our village), so she was cleaning madly just in case. Gives her something to do and explains the half-cleaned walls which are truly being cleaned in off hours.



Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


Kevin is a good friend and a great bowl maker – he is cutting out a bowl out of pine for a friend; the tree came from the friend’s house.



Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting



Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

This man is a furniture-maker– he makes chairs and lovely tables. I covet the candle stand, but cannot afford it. He is extremely skilled at what he does and is very friendly and willing to tell you how he works.



Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting



Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting





Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Jamie is of the family from Wisconsin that I briefly mentioned in Decorah. This weekend he was working on a cabinet and a door for it.



Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting



Richard makes barrels and round barrel shaped boxes.


Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


Sigmund is from Norway. He is here, teaching knife making in Decorah, at the Vesterheim museum.


Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

His knives are just breathtaking. He makes them after the pattern of the Sami people in the North.



Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Jamie’s brother, Tyler, was helping Tom hew logs .. they were ripping the bark off and making the round logs into square ones.



Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Dave Winter was (and still is) a fiddler and musician, but Norm created a monster when he taught Dave how to work with wood. He is having fun making all kinds of characters, but he has even make a fiddle by himself. He sat with me while Norm went to get the car and he took care of the tent while we were gone, and even promised not to try to spin on the wheel!



Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

I believe I gave you a test/hint of what’s behind the curtain at Decorah. This time, I am going to show you. I have put up a privacy curtain to have as a wash room, bathroom and dressing room. The curtain reaches the floor so that we can have the “door“ of the tent open for people to peek into – we have the tent set up like it would have been had we truly been back in the 1800s so people can see what it was like. I can go in, change clothes, if necessary, use the “necessary” if necessary, or just wash my face when I am sweaty, and no one knows what goes on behind curtain number one!

Here is the curtain, open


Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Here is a closer look of the wash stand. It holds the basin, soap, all the needs of a traveling couple.


Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Here is the commode .. a reproduction of an actual antique that a dear friend, Patience, has and uses. Mine is also very useable, especially in the middle of the night.



Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Tomorrow, I will tell the tale of drunk Mrs. Peterson. I think this is a long enough post, as it is. I have my pocket made for my Epipen to wear when I go outside, which makes everyone but me happy; I am downsizing the amount of Prednisone, so am getting less loopy. I am getting more breath back so I am not so breathless when walking too far, so I am slowly recovering from the scare of Saturday. I thank all of you who have written – I appreciate the concern and love that I have felt. I promise (hopefully) to never have to go through this again.

It is a beautiful day – you have a beautiful day!



No comments: