Friday, August 18, 2006

The great cat hunt!

Sister Candy has decided that she needs an inside cat. She gave Lil to me before she moved from her old home to her new home because Lil needed to be outside most of the time and was frightening away Candy’s birds.

Candy is more of a cat person than a dog person and decided that once she moved, she would begin looking for an indoor cat.

Candy is a ‘rescue’ person. She would prefer to get a rescued animal than a puppy from a breeder. Her animals, as mine, are almost all rescues of one sort or another. They show up at her door or she finds them in a shelter somewhere.

My Meggie was a rescue puppy, thirteen years ago. Lucky was abandoned by her mother when she was two weeks old. Lil, as I said, was Candy’s – she showed up on Candy’s door step. Goldie is the only one of my bunch that was not a rescue – Candy got her as a puppy from a breeder, then gave her to me this last fall when her Newfoundland decided Goldie was a toy to be played with and was a little to hard on her.

So, when it was time to look for Candy’s inside cat, she naturally turned to rescue shelters; on the web is the easiest place for finding a cat in this area. After several weeks of searching, she narrowed it down to three, and last night made the choice.

Today, it was off to the races! We went to Milford, Iowa, close to Spirit Lake and looked at Cali. After a little bit of playing and cuddling and talking to Cali, Candy decided that this was the cat for her!


A good trip, a sweet cat and a fun day with my sister.

Now it’s my turn! I have decided that I want a Miniature Dachshund … I had one many years ago and still think of her fondly. There was a “doxie” cross in Milford, but she was NOT my dog! Anyone know of a little girl needing rescuing?

Tomorrow is fair day – we will go watch the llama show and see more animals. The boys are going to the Threshing Bee instead of the fair, so Candy and I will be able to spend as much time as we want seeing what WE want.

You have a beautiful day!


Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

3 comments:

Grandma Rosie said...

What a pretty kitty. I love cats and have two pretty Manx that are my special babies.

Kati said...

Oh man..... everybody's posting such pretty kitty pictures!!!! Glad your sis found a new friend to share her home!!!

Pennie said...

Hello,
Just ran across your blog and request for a good Dachshund Rescue. You'll probably find a little one through Dachshund Rescue of North America ( http://www.drna.org/ ). I've heard wonderful things about them.

I work in an animal hospital so my little Peanut came from there. She came in at four months of age with a rescue group and it was love at first site for me. =)

We have four mutleys and two kitties...everybody here showed up in our lives somehow. They're always the best cause they seem much more appreciative.

I enjoyed reading your blog. =)