Saturday, July 08, 2006

It seems like a real farm here!

The tomatoes are starting to grow; the garden is growing well; the chickens are getting bigger; the fields have been mowed; all right’s with this world!

We have baby tomatoes in the garden, we picked peas the other day (yes they are late, but what can you do with a slow spring?), the chickens are four and a half weeks old, and neighbor Bill came to mow our grass and cut down the horrible thistles before they seeded out.


Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Our first tomato

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Bill mowing the west pasture

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Four week old chicks

Our baby chickens are not nearly as big as the Cornish were at this age, but they certainly are more lively, prettier, and healthier! I haven’t lost one of them so far (knock on wood!).



Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Cornish Cross at four weeks

The teenagers are getting bigger – we will move the nest boxes for the hens into the teenagers’ pen soon and they will all be penned up in the bigger yard. Norm took some snow fencing donated by cousin Kathy (thank you, Kath!) and made the yard almost 3 times the size of the original one.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Teenagers are growing

We went to town to get a horse! However, he was too big, so we decided to not get him! Just kidding … this is Goliath – the world’s tallest living horse – he’s six foot five inches tall! He lives in Texas (they grow them big down there, Rosie!) and travels around the country, being shown off. And, definitely not for sale!!

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Goliath with his handler

A note of glad tidings! Carla Lynne now has a personal blog … she is not going to start the homestead blog, as of yet, but is working on it. Go see her blog – not much there, yet, as she has had torrential rains and power outages like you wouldn’t believe! However, she and her family are doing well. They have stopped working on the Ark and are putting it on hold until the next torrential rains. Carla Lynne says her tomatoes are crying for lack of dry roots, but hopes that some sunshine will save them.

Another bright note in this hot day … I got my router today and was able to chat with CandyD this morning, sitting at the kitchen table, watching the goldfinches feed. I only have about thirty minutes on my battery, but was able to move around the house, wireless and free for that thirty minutes. I will try to recharge my battery soon so it lasts longer!

Today is a hot day, but beautiful, just the same. You have a beautiful day!


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello! I found you. Thanks for posting and letting me know where you were. I knew you hadn't dropped off the face of the earth. I knew you were still out there somewhere blogging! I look forward to reading all your posts like I did before. Looks like you are doing well. I am really enjoying my gardens now that school is out. It's a lot of work but so worth it. Have a great day!

Jill

Candy Duell said...

Your chickens are getting so big. I just love chickens. That horse is huge. He is a beauty.